The High School Musical soundtrack was the top selling album of 2006, registering 3,719,071 sales according to Nielsen SoundScan.Soundtracks had a good year for sales, with thanks not only to High School Musical but also Hannah Montana which came in at No. 8 with sales of 1,987,681.
Rascal Flatts were the year's biggest band, coming in at No. 2 with 3,479,994 sales for 'Me and My Gang'. Carrie Underwood wins the Female of the Year for sales of 3,015,950 for 'Some Hearts'.
Justin Timberlake was the year's biggest selling male act. 'FutureSex/LoveSounds' was at No.5 below Nickelback with 2,377,127 sales.
The Top 10 selling albums of 2006 were:
1. Soundtrack / High School Musical 3,719,071
2. Me and My Gang / Rascal Flatts 3,479,994
3. Some Hearts / Carrie Underwood 3,015,950
4. All the Right Reasons/ Nickelback 2,688,166
5. Futuresex/Love ... / Justin Timberlake 2,377,127
6. Back to Bedlam / James Blunt 2,137,142
7. B'day / Beyonce 2,010,311
8. Soundtrack/ Hannah Montana 1,987,681
9. Taking the Long Way/ Dixie Chicks 1,856,284
10. Extreme Behavior/ Hinder 1,817,350